This southern baked macaroni and cheese includes egg yolk for a rich, thick Bechamel Sauce as the base for this recipe. I’m willing to bet every deep south grandmother has a secret recipe for macaroni and cheese quietly filed in her memory. A recipe memorized over hundreds of repetitious occasions surely cannot be forgotten. The molten gooey comfort sauce might be modified, perhaps according to what cheese or season is on hand that week, but the recipe itself remains unchanged. This one is a tribute to grandmothers everywhere whose tireless hours in the kitchen kept our bellies full and our hearts happy, year in and year out.
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Yield : 2 Quarts
You can cook the pasta and sauce simultaneously. They should finish about the same time and be ready to go in the oven.
- Cook 2 cups of macaroni for about 2-3 minutes less than package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt salted butter over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add flour. Mix until smooth. Cook about 5 minutes or until golden in color. Don't over-do it! If the butter browns, you'll need to start over.
- Meanwhile, heat milk until steaming. You can do this on medium in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes, or slowly raise temperature in a separate pot.
- Once the roux is cooked and pasty, slowly add the hot milk while whisking continuously.
- Bring the sauce just to a soft boil, then lower heat and continue stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, mustard, and onion powder. Stir.
- Separate the egg and gradually whisk in the yolk only, stirring until smoothly incorporated.
- Lower heat and add grated sharp cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cooked macaroni to a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta, then mix until well covered.
- If desired, sprinkle with breadcrumbs at this point.
- Course grate parmesan and remaining cheddar over top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover during last 10 minutes to brown the top layer of cheesy goodness.