Pho Seafood Noodle Soup
Pho is a simple Vietnamese soup, traditionally a hodge-podge hot pot, so feel free to make vegetable and protein substitutions as you wish.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 16 cups
- For the Soup:
- chicken broth - 2 quarts
- sweet onion - 1/4 thinly sliced
- garlic - 1 clove, halved
- ginger root - 2 Tbs., grated
- lemongrass - 1 stalk
- carrot - 1 medium
- sea salt - 1Tbs.
- star anise - 1 whole
- cinnamon stick - 1/2 stick
- coriander - 2 tsp.
- cloves - 3
- chicken breast - 1 whole, boneless and skinless
- shrimp - 1/2 pound, shell on
- For the Bowl:
- Bahn Pho - Vietnamese rice noodle - Half package
- bean sprouts - 1 cup
- scallions - 2 stalks
- chili pepper - Green or red, sliced
- sriracha chili sauce - to taste
- cilantro - 1 bunch
- thai basil - 1 bunch
- limes - 2, quartered
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large stock pot bring chicken broth just to a boil, about med-high. Add onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, carrot, sea salt, star anise, cinnamon stick, coriander, and cloves. Cook 6-8 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Bring heat to full boil, add chicken breast and poach for 10 mins.
- Remove the chicken breast to side plate to rest and reduce heat to medium low.
- Meanwhile, taste the stock and make adjustments as necessary. You're aiming for a bright and savory flavor.
- Prepare serving bowls with bean sprouts, scallions, basil, cilantro, chili pepper, lime, and sriracha (if desired.)
- Add shrimp to the stock pot and cook 2 mins.
- Shred the chicken and add to the prepared bowls.
- Finish by ladling the soup into each serving bowl and garnish with cilantro, basil and lime wedge.