Indian Chana Masala: Chickpea Tomato Stew
This Indian inspired Chana Masala recipe is a fast meal or side dish that can be prepared with just a few ingredients from your humble abode. Use canned chick peas and tomatoes for quick assembly. If you prefer a smooth texture, you can puree in a food processor or blender prior to serving.
A few notes about this recipe:
The fire-roasted tomato part is pretty darn important. It will taste completely different with any substitution.
After prepping the ingredients for your stew, break out a medium saute pan - you'll need the lid too. If doubling this recipe, you'll need a larger vessel for this tour of India. Ever wonder what to call the various apparati in your kitchen arsenal? Our friends at The Kitchn explain the difference between a saute pan and a skillet.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Yield : 4 cups
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sweet onion, garlic, ginger, and garam masala to the pan and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are no longer opaque.
- Add the diced fire-roasted tomatoes and mix thoroughly with the base ingredients.
- Turn down the heat to a slow simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and a bit of water if needed.
- Cover and continue simmering for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in chopped cilantro and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Taste.
- Serve with naan and a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.