What’s better than a fresh corn chowder that’s light on the waistline? If you make the rue heavy and thick, you’ll never miss the cream.
Change of season is the perfect time for soup. A heavy golden rue is the key to this recipe, in which I substitute whole milk for heavy cream. The best part is the simplicity in preparation, and the hearty ingredients will hold up to a longer simmer if necessary. So go ahead and enjoy the cool outdoors while this chowder simmers to perfection. It’s also great the next day!
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Yield : 8
- Melt butter
- Stir in flour and paprika on medium heat until bubbly
- Add potato, celery, shallot, chicken stock and salt
- (Use any onion on hand, and bouillon instead of stock if necessary but omit salt in this case)
- Cook uncovered 10-15 mins until tender
- Add milk and corn and cook until corn is tender, about 8 minutes
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley
- I like to simmer stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes, so the chowder thickens and the flavors really have a chance to marry. Taste and simmer. Repeat. You'll know when it's done.