Bechamel Sauce is the Beginning of All Things Creamy
Easy bechamel sauce as the base for any cheese sauce. Once the roux is ready, add other cheeses, spices, seasonings, vegetables you like. Use this sauce to make grandma’s Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese!
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Yield : 2 cups
- Melt salted butter over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add flour. Mix until smooth. Cook about 5 minutes or until golden in color. Don't over-do it! If the butter browns, you'll need to start over.
- Meanwhile, heat milk until steaming. You can do this on medium in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes, or slowly raise temperature in a separate pot.
- Once the roux is cooked and pasty, slowly add the hot milk while whisking continuously.
- Bring the sauce just to a soft boil, then lower heat and continue stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Stir.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use, or continue adding ingredients to make other dishes, like Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese.