Asian Ramen Noodle Coleslaw Salad with Toasted Almonds
Bring this easy ramen noodle coleslaw salad with toasted almonds, fresh carrots, and tasty oriental dressing to your next potluck or backyard barbecue. This recipe is a summer favorite perfect for casual entertaining and family gatherings. It pairs well with grilled meats such as chicken or spareribs. Add side dishes like corn on the cob, fresh watermelon, and a cold IPA for a relaxing meal with friends.
If you are preparing fresh and not from those handy pre-made bags of coleslaw, begin slicing and chopping. You can always pulse in a food processor, but you’ll end up with inconsistent results. My method is shown below. Begin with quarter to half inch slices, then cut cross-wise to achieve a rough chop.
Next grate the carrots and de-stem the scallions in preparation for a quarter-inch slice and dice.
You’ll need at least a 5-quart bowl to hold this bundle of goodness.
Combine the ingredients first as above, then add the dressing and ramen noodles.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : 4 quarts
- green cabbage - 1 head
- red cabbage - 1/2 head
- carrots - 1, or 10 baby carrots
- scallions - 5, green ends sliced
- almonds - 1 cup, sliced (optional)
- canola oil - 6 Tbs
- white vinegar - 4 Tbs
- granulated sugar - 6 Tbs
- ramen noodles - 2 packages, chicken flavor
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- chicken bouillon flavor packet - 2, included with ramen package
- Use a kitchen mallet to break up noodles gently while still in the bag.
- Whisk vinegar, sugar, and flavor packet together until dissolved completely.
- Add oil slowly, stirring constantly.
- Combine cabbages, carrots, scallions. This can be refrigerated the night before.
- Add ramen noodles, almonds, and dressing not more than 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Options: dash of celery seed, water chestnuts, rotisserie chicken, pulled pork using oriental flavor ramen.